Whatz On @ Iziko
Upcoming and current exhibitions, planetarium shows, education and public programmes and events, and ‘friends’ activities currently on at Iziko Museums of South Africa.
Download Iziko whats on brochure HERE
- Alien Wasps, opened at the ISAM on 1 September 2013
- Martyrs, Saints and Sell-outs opened at the Castle of Good Hope on 7 September. On until 11 October 2013.
- Opening ‘Plato’s Cave’: The Legacy of Kevin Atkinson (1939–2007)opened at theISANG on 11 September.
- Standard Bank Young Artist for Visual Art 2013 Mary Sibande, opens at the ISANG on 26 November 2013 to 15 January 2014.
Please visit the Iziko website to see all the exhibitions currently on: www.iziko.org.za
- Tick Tock – The Mouse and the Clock, 21 to 30 September. Monday–Friday, 11:00, 12:00 & 15:00. Saturday & Sunday 12:00 & 15:30. For children aged 5–12 years.
- Davy Dragon’s Guide to the Night Sky, 5 October to 1 December. Saturday & Sunday 12:00. For children aged 5–10 years.
- A Basic Guide to Stargazing,until 20 September, Monday–Friday 14:00. Tuesday evening 20:00 (& sky talk). Saturday & Sunday at 14:30.
- Do the Stars Influence Your Life? 23 to 30 September, Monday–Friday 13:00. An examination into ancient beliefs and modern claims.
- The Sky TonightSaturday and Sunday 13:00
- Light and Life in Space and Time,21 September to 1 December. Monday– Friday at 14:00 (excl. 7 October, 25–29 November). Tuesday evening 20:00 (& sky talk) (excl. 26 November) Saturday & Sunday 14:30
Upcoming Planetarium shows
- Starfinder Astronomy Course An astronomy course of four sessions. Course: 16, 23, 30 October and 6 November. Time: 19:30 until (until approx 21:30). Cost: R300 (includes lecture notes, tea and certificate of attendance).Tickets are available at the ISAM entrance. Numbers are limited, so to avoid disappointment, don’t delay.
Social History Educational Programmes
- Isishweshwe toursDate:September, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Time: 15:00–16:00 Venue: Iziko Slave Lodge
- Ceramic-making workshop (special needs).Date: 2–4 October. Time: 10:00–14:00 Venue: Castle of Good Hope
- OR Tambo: The Modest revolutionary walkabouts. Date: 1 October to 29 November. Time: 14:30–16:00 Venue: Iziko Slave Lodge
Iziko Public Programme
- Heritage Day, 24 September – A multi-faceted programme of events will be held during the in_herit Festival, held in conjunction with Iziko and our partners during Heritage Week 23–29 September 2013. FREE ENTRY to all Iziko museums on Heritage Day!
Friends of the Iziko South African National Gallery
- Join Mark Coetzee for a lecture entitled The Curator as Cultural Activist Date: 24 September Time: 17:30 Venue: TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM. Cost: Members R40, non-members R60, students R20
Friends of the Iziko South African Museum Lectures:
- Dr Wayne K. Florence presents a lecture on African ‘Bryodiversity’ a contribution to the works on the neglected marine invertebrate fauna of Southern Africa. Date: 1 October Time: 19:00Venue: TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAMCost: Free
- Astory about just how much the Bushmen can teach us about respect for our natural resources and how to preserve themby Patricia Glyn, eco explorer, public speaker, radio personality and author. Date: 26 November Time: 18:30 Venue: Whale Well, Iziko South African Museum. Cost: R30, non-members R50