Whatz On @ Iziko
Upcoming and current exhibitions, planetarium shows, education and public programmes and events, and Friends activities currently on at Iziko Museums of South Africa. For a complete list of what’s happening at our museums, please see the Iziko website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-the-minute details.
New exhibitions at Iziko:
- Iziko Koopmans-de Wet House Museum – Corsets & Couture opens on 9 August 2014. A fashion exhibition, opening on Women’s Day, will display eight designer outfits from the 1960s to 1990s, created by Chris Levin and donated by Mark Coetzee. These contrast with the typical black late-Victorian garments, as would have been worn by the last owner of the house, Marie Koopmans-de Wet, highlighting the liberating changes in women’s wear 100 years later.
- Iziko Old Town House – Rembrandt opens on 3 October 2014. This exhibition will for the first time, draw together all of the etchings by Rembrandt van Rijn in South African collections (ISANG, the Michaelis Collection, the Rupert Family Art Foundation Collection, the Johannesburg Art Gallery and the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum in Port Elizabeth). The exhibition will focus on the artist’s etching and drypoint techniques.
- A student exhibition at the ISANG Annexe on Hatfield Street, opens on 1 September 2014. UCT Curatorship Honours students will showcase exhibitions curated by students during Heritage Month.
- Iziko SA National Gallery – Symbols of South African Cultures opens on 24 September 2014. South Africa has a rich and diverse history that goes back thousands of years. Ancient symbols such as the Blombos ochre, rock engravings and the earliest shell beads are depicted, together with more contemporary symbolic objects as part of a new philatelic series to be launched in Cape Town on Heritage Day 2014. This is a World Design Capital initiative by the Post Office (#WDC538).
Friends of the Iziko South African Museum – email firstname.lastname@example.org for details of these and other events:
- On Tuesday, 29 July 2014, the Friends hosts Professor Anuyusa Chinsamy-Turin, who will present a lecture entitled ‘Pterosaurs - the flying reptiles’. Millions of years before birds and bats, pterosaurs, the flying reptiles took to the skies. Ranging in size from a sparrow to a F-16 fighter jet, these reptiles had a unique flying kit and unusual lifestyles. At the TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM at 19:00.
- John Rae presents ‘The wonderful work of the Mercy Ships’ on Tuesday, 26 August 2014. At the TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM at 18:30 for 19:00.
- Visit Robben Island, and get a geological perspective with Dr John Rogers on 29/30 August 2014.
- Explore Karoo plants, history and everything else with Louis Jordaan in the Oudtshoorn area on 3/5 September 2014.
Friends of the Iziko Michaelis Collection– contact email@example.com or Cell 082 789 5050 for more details:
- Friday, 25 July 2014 at 10:00: Guided Tour of Groote Schuur. Booking essential.
- Saturday, 16 August 2014 at 18:30: Concert with Paulina Malefane at the Old Town House.
- Saturday, 13 September 2014 at 18:30: Music from the Golden Age VIII: Andrew Cruickshank, harpsichord; Merryl Monard, traverse flute and Elsabé Richter, soprano. At the Old Town House.
Friends of the Iziko South African National Gallery– email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information:
- A series of four lectures on art in progress – some art movements from the 1950s to today. At the TH Barry Lecture Theatre, Iziko South African Museum at 17:30.
- Tuesday, 22 July 2014:1950s / Abstraction – Hayden Proud
- Tuesday, 5 August 2014:1960s-1970s / Dematerialisation – Winnie Sze and Annemi Conradie
- Tuesday, 19 August 2014:1970s-1990s / New Media – Carine Zaayman
- Tuesday, 26 August 2014:Today / ContemporaryArt – Marilyn Martin
- Studio visits:
- Saturday, 19 July 2014 at 11:00: Robin Kutinyu at the Harvest Centre, 31 Harbour Road, Hout Bay.
- Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 11:00: Barbara Bruce at 202 Main Road, Kalk Bay.
- Wednesday 16 July 2014 at 13:00: Mandela Remembered: Art Inspired by Madibaat the Jewish Museum.
- Sunday, 7 September 2014 at 11:00:“BRAVE NEW WORLD”: 20 Years of Democracy at the ISANG.