Iziko Museums of South Africa (Iziko) is a Schedule 3A Public Entity and an agency of the national Department of Arts and Culture (DAC), bringing together the national museums of the Western Cape under a single governance and leadership structure. In terms of the Cultural Institutions Act, 1998 (Act No. 119 of 1998), five national museums in the Western Cape – the South African Cultural History Museum, South African Museum, South African National Gallery, the William Fehr Collection and the Michaelis Collection – were amalgamated as the Southern Flagship Institution (SFI). In July 2001, the SFI was officially renamed Iziko Museums of Cape Town, and in September 2012, renamed Iziko Museums of South Africa.
Iziko Museums of South Africa is a declared national heritage institution established as a flagship museum bringing together 11 museums under a single governance and leadership structure. Iziko is governed by a Council appointed by the Minister of Arts and Culture.
The Iziko Council is appointed for a three-year term by the Minister of Arts and Culture. The sixth Council of Iziko was inducted in August 2019.
The duties of Council, as described in the Cultural Institutions Act, 1998 (Act No. 119 of 1998), are to:
- Formulate policy;
- Hold, preserve and safeguard all movable and immovable property of whatever kind, placed in the care of, or loaned, or belonging to, the declared institution concerned;
- Receive, hold, preserve and safeguard all specimens, collections or other movable property placed under its care and management under Section 10(1) [of the Act];
- Raise funds for the institution; manage and control the moneys received by the declared institution and to utilise those moneys for defraying expenses in connection with the performance of its functions;
- Keep a proper record of the property of the declared institution; submit to the Director-General any returns required by him or her in regard thereto, and to cause proper books of account to be kept;
- Determine, subject to this Act and with the approval of the Minister, the objects of the declared institution; and,
- Generally, carry out the objects of the declared institution.
In addition, the Council appoints, in consultation with the Minister, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO); and, may determine the hours during which, and the conditions and restrictions subject to which, the public may visit the declared institution concerned, or portion thereof, and the admission charges to be paid.
The Members of the 8th Iziko Council
Chairman: Mr Dennis Jabulani Sithole
Deputy Chair: Dr Paul Spencer Bayliss
Ex-Officio: Dr Bongani Ndhlovu, Acting Chief Executive Officer, Iziko Museums of South Africa
Ex-Officio: Ms Ronel Pedro, Chief Financial Officer, Iziko Museums of South Africa
- Mr Popo Andries Sakoane Masilo
- Ms Penelope Anne Beck
- Ms Keitumetse Mahlangu
- Mr Ahmed Mohammed Pandor
- Mr Pumzile Gladman Zonke
- Ms Matshemo Margaret Sekgobela
Sub-committees of Council
The following Sub-committees of Council report to the Council:
- Audit and Risk Committee
- Finance and Advancement Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Core Functions and Support Services Committee
In terms of Section 55 (2) of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, Dr Bongani Ndhlovu, Acting CEO of Iziko Museums, is the Information Officer and Ms Precious Isaac, is the Deputy Information Officer.